Last week, we gave you an overview of the major streaming video platforms available to Leeward CC students, faculty and staff. This week, we will focus on our largest platform, Academic Video Online (AVON).
AVON at a glance
- Currently contains more than 79,000 videos.
- New titles are added every month. Titles are also removed periodically.
- Includes documentaries, instructional material, newsreels, performances, interviews, and other content types.
- Covers a wide range of subject areas, including social sciences, history, business, education, and performing arts.
- Provides content in dozens of languages, such as Dutch, French, Spanish, German, Italian, Japanese, and Korean.
Use the search box in the top right corner to enter a video title or keywords and search the current channel.
Click on the Filter icon to narrow your search results by subject, publisher, person, content type, language, or release date. Filters can be set before or after you enter your search term(s).
Click on any video for more details, or to view, cite, or share it. You may click on the Transcript feature to read the transcript as you watch the video, or to skip to a section of interest.
Click on the Share icon to generate direct links to the video.
Additional features are available. Watch these videos to learn more about using AVON:
- Academic Video Online: Platform Overview
- Academic Video Online: Video Player Key Features
- Academic Video Online: Platform Translation Tools
For information on embedding videos in Laulima, please refer to this guide: Linking to Articles, E-Books, and Videos.
Ethnographic Video Online
Ethnographic Video Online, Vol. III: Indigenous Voices is a subset of AVON that focuses on films made by and for indigenous people and communities. The collection consists of 653 videos to which we have permanent access (unlike the vast majority of AVON content that is subscription-based). Ethnographic Video Online titles may be accessed within AVON or via the separate Ethnographic Video Online channel.
The library also uses AVON to host a limited number of videos that are not part of the AVON subscription. We currently have three titles available:
- Honor Thy Mother: the Untold Story of Aboriginal Women and Their Indipino Children
- Noho Hewa: The Wrongful Occupation of Hawaiʻi
- Life and Debt
Top 10 AVON videos at Leeward CC
What’s popular on AVON? Over the past 12 months, the following videos were the most viewed:
- Ahupua‘a, Fishponds and Lo‘i
- Nation Within
- Corridor Four
- Kumu Hina
- Conquest of Hawaii
- John Lewis: Good Trouble
- Flow: for Love of Water
- Hi-Ho Mistahey!
- American Experience: Eyes on the Prize, No Easy Walk (1961-1963)
- Terms and Conditions May Apply
We hope you’ve learned something new about AVON. Next week we’ll cover our resources for feature films, so stay tuned!